We're currently running a beta of the latest Steam patch. We've been hearing about some problems with the Mac version of the game, but we're hoping most of the issues have been solved by now. But in order to test this out, we're running a beta.
If you want to opt in and try it out, simply right click on The Dream Machine in your Steam games library, select Properties > Betas and then select "Public Beta - Jan 2013" in the drop down menu. The game should start to update immediately.
Aside from addressing Mac stability issues, this update contains the musical overhaul that we've rolled out during these past months.
Full patch notes:
• Engine: Rebuilt Mac version to address stability issues
• Engine: Changed how the save system works on Mac
• Engine: Added a save converter to update old saves on Mac
• Engine: Removed text-to-speech function on Mac
• Engine: Made it possible to click outside the walkable areas
• Engine: Removed the feet cursor indicating walkable areas
• Engine: Fixed Victor's dialogue being drawn too high on screen
• Engine: Musical system totally overhauled
• Game: Next chapter teaser texts now displays correctly
• Game: Music volume reduced by 60% when viewing menus
• Game: Displays overlay if helmet is worn when viewing a close-up
• Game: Added breathing sound when the helmet is worn
• Game: Swapped more graphical assets to high resolution
• Game: UI tweaked
• Chapter 1, 2 & 3: Reworked background tracks
• Chapter 2: Added telephone interactions
• Chapter 2: Fixed Victor's placement after visiting the dead blacksmith
• Chapter 2: Fixed navigation problem in Morton's basement
• Chapter 2: Fixed graphical bug during the machine's attack
• Chapter 3: Removed 'invisible' book in cabin 1
• Chapter 3: Fixed faucet related bugs
• Chapter 3: Autosave points added
As always, we really appreciate if you report any problems you're having.